Saturday, April 9, 2011

White People

People who live near the equator tend to be dark skinned. This reduces the damage done to the skin by the sun. People who live in the northern latitudes have lighter skin, to absorb some of the rarified sunlight needed to convert vitamin D to a useable format. I'm from 43 degrees north latitude, roughly. I am currently near 6 or 7 degrees north latitude. I am noticeably white, while nearly everyone else is really dark. There seems to be a tendency to think that people of a different persuasion all look alike. You know, all Chinese people look a like, all Mexicans look alike, all Lutherans look alike.

Since I have arrived, I have been mistaken for Anderson Cooper, and just yesterday, I was told that I look like Clint Eastwood. I hope that was in his younger days. I have always liked Josie Wales. But you know us white people, we all just look alike.

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you are talking about! Personally, being of Nordic Persuasion, people often ask me if all Norwegians are pink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember an experience on my first trip to Japan. I landed at Narita Airport looking for Rev. Fukimoto. I looked around and saw 1 million black haired people. I was definitely the only blonde in the crowd.

    ReplyDelete