Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Local Hooch

I remember the homemade moonshine that came from Bosnia.  It was called slivovitz, and was made from apples, pears, and whatever else was around.   It was generally clear.  Each family usually made their own, and they were quite proud of the results.  It was close to a vodka, or a grappa.  They were always eager to share a shot, or what we call in the old country, a wee dram.  In Sri Lanka, the local hooch is called Arrack, and is made from coconut.  It is golden in color, and comes in several grades.  The usual stuff you see has a green label, with Singala and Tamil writing upon the label.  David, the field coordinator from Point Pedro introduced me to his own mix.  I had always tried Arrack either strait up, or on the rocks.  He, however, showed me how to mix the Arrack with lime juice and ice cubes.  Not a bad mix, if I do say so myself.  A little of this liquid treat, and you may almost think your back in civilization.

No comments:

Post a Comment