Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A Surgical Starting Anew

The current war here inded in 2009. I have been assessing the Internally Displaced Peoples, which is a euphemism for refugees. We have set up clinics throughout the area, where people line up for medical care. Most are there for cold, pneumonias, fevers and the like. Others come to see me, the surgeon. I have been seeing wounds from a war that ended two years ago. Wounds that have healed, some well, some poorly. Most have left large scars on the body, and larger, unhealed wounds on the mind. There are pieces of the war that remain in these bodies. Shrapnel and shell fragments. Most of these are in places where they could remain. In fact, taking them out risks further injury. However, these patients, mostly young women, in fact, want any remaining shell fragment removed. Even when I tell them that it is dangerous, and could cause further pain or scarring, they want them out. I actually feel that they want this war removed from them, and by taking out the shell fragments, we will start to heal the wounds that are unseen. I hope we can do this. The surgical removal of a war is not something that is commonly taught, and I'm sure that it is never complete, despite our heroic efforts. We can only hope to start the healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment