Monday, April 18, 2011

Down to One


For the first month of my stay in Sri Lanka, there were two general surgeons for MSF on the island, with me being one of them. Today, Debbie Aaron left Point Pedro, and I moved up to Point Pedro. She is leaving after nearly 4 months without hardly a break. Boy, do I have some shoes to fill. Debbie was loved by the community and the people in the hospital. And she loved them back. I made rounds with her this morning so that the patients could be properly handed off to my care. The tears that were shed for her were countless. It was one of the most moving experiences. I was already feeling sorry for myself, in that I had to move away from my friends in MTV, and go to Point Pedro, where I hardly know anybody, except Debbie, and she is leaving. I don't know my way around the hospital which is laid out like a maze, and I was feeling pretty alone. I thought that I was going to get misty eyed. But the phone started ringing with consults and cases, and I had to jump in. So we are down to one surgeon. I expect to be moving back and forth between MTV and PPD, but it will depend on needs. The real need is flexibility, and the ability to adapt to changing pressures and demands. I will do my best.

1 comment:

  1. Dan--you will do just great. I get the lonely feeling whenever I think of your position. Not everyone can handle what you are experiencing. You are tough. It's definitely the Norwegian blood that flows through your veins.

    ReplyDelete