Sunday, April 17, 2011

Changing Position


I am writing from Point Pedro, in the far north of the island. The surgeon who has been here for several months leaves tomorrow to go home. That left them without a surgeon. The anesthetist who is supposed to come to Mullaitivu is being held up in the visa process. I am a team player, and to help the team, I am now in Point Pedro. I found out last night. There was no time for a proper good-bye to my team at MTV. So we had breakfast together this morning. I quickly packed my things, said too-quick good-byes, and got in the van. Now there is a surgeon in the same place as an anesthetist. Work can carry on. But the people that I have been with at MTV are very special. We have gone through a lot together. We have started from scratch in a hospital that had no operating room. We have laughed and cried and shared frustrations together. We have played darts, and UNO, and watched movies without any sound. We have shared recipes, and tried recipes together. We have become friends. So to you my friends, I raise my glass. To Ayumi, Charlotte, Frederika, Dr. Ben, and Dr. Kim, I am with you all in spirit. To the others, including Betty, and Laurence, I hope to see you soon, and am sorry you couldn't have breakfast with us. I will be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment