Monday, March 21, 2011

To Mullaitivu

The taxi was given the wrong date to show up, so we were a little harried as we tried to get to the train. Luckily, the traffic was pretty quiet at 2145, and we made the train just minutes before it left at 2200. And it was spot on. We had a sleeper car, and I had been warned that the beds were pretty well infested with bedbugs. I was travelling with the Head of Mission for Sri Lanka, my ultimate boss for the operation. Although I don't think that I got bit by anything, the constant fear along with the shaking and jerking of the train didn't leave much time for sleep. We arrived in Vavuniya at 0530, and were picked up by some MSF drivers who took us to the local MSF house. A little later we were able to get on the road to Mullaitivu. I think that it is about 50 km, but it takes 2 to 2.5 hours to drive. The road is very rough and narrow. The military presence is very palpable. About every 200 meters was a bunker with 2 to 6 armed soldiers. Several checkpoints were crossed, and we make without difficulty. Finally, to Mullaitivu.
I would like to put up some photos, but will not be able to until later, as the internet situation is a bit limited.

No comments:

Post a Comment