Sunday, March 27, 2011

Hot heat

It is probably ironic to those who know me that I would end up near the equator. I did go to Florida once but that was as close as I got. And it was in January. Now summer approaches in Sri Lanka. I think that Colombo is about 6 degrees north latitude. The sun is high in the sky. Not that low lying cool disc that we see for a few hours a day in Decorah. But up there, overhead, in the middle of the sky, bearing down on us. The heat is hot here.

The other irony is that I am in a place that is religiously conservative. I'm not sure what that means from the religious standpoint, but culturally, we are not allowed to wear shorts, and shirts must have at least short sleeves. Probably a good idea, actually. Or that hot flaming nuclear explosion above us would toast us like we were small ants under a magnifying glass. This way, we are at least more slowly poached.

No comments:

Post a Comment