Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Charles Dickens and Tusker Beer

The nights are long near the equator.  The sun goes down just after six, and comes up sometime around six.  There is no night life.  No TV or movie theaters.  No restaurants.  The evening meal looks just like the noon meal, except colder and older.  So I read.  And what I have with me is Charles Dickens A Tale of Two Cities.  It is much better to read this story now than when I read it in high school.  I remember liking it then, but I'm sure that I didn't get it.  However, it is much better now.  To enhance the experience, there is Tusker beer.  It is made in East Africa, and is named after the elephant which killed George Hurst, one of the original brewers.  I had been told that Tusker beer is a terrible beer.  But when it is the only beer, it is also the best beer served.  Charles Dickens doesn't seem to mind.  Because, it was the best of times, it was the worst of times ...  

No comments:

Post a Comment