Thursday, May 19, 2011

Lakshmi

She was always ready to break into a smile.  Our translator, Lakshmi.  Her eyes were dark pools, like looking into the deep waters in evening.  She flashed understanding with those eyes.  Speaking Tamil, and English, and Singala, she, at times was our voice -- our connection to another human being.  She never faltered, and I was jealous of Dr. Ben, who had her attention every day.  I was lucky once, when she came with me for an afternoon of surgery clinic.  She bridged the language gap with me.  She appreciated my efforts to say the days of the week in Tamil.  She always seemed happy, and I asked her about that.

She told me that her daughter had gotten a divorce after being treated badly by her husband.  Her sons were very ashamed of this, and actually tried to kill their own sister.  She helped her daughter to escape, and she is now safely out of the country.  One of her sons doesn't even speak to her.  I know from my own experience, that if one of my own children refused to acknowledge me or to speak with me, I would be devastated.  I cannot imagine what she has gone through, as a woman, as a mother, and as a family.  But she always was there, with her almost smile, and her irrepressible attitude, like the unsinkable Molly Brown.  She tells me that she wants to come to the states, and maybe take care of someone's children.  I have her contact information, and I hope that I can find a reason to call her.

No comments:

Post a Comment