Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Daniels

The whole time that I was in Sri Lanka, I was either referred to as 'the surgeon,' or as Dr. Daniel.  They didn't really use last names in the way that we do.  But that was fine.  In fact, it was refreshing for me.  But I was not the only Daniel.  There were two others, and I include them here.  Daniel with the glasses, was a translator, and a very excellent one at that.  His sense of humor was relentless, and he never stopped giving me a hard time.  Daniel, the other Tamil guy, worked with the mental health team, and was an excellent counselor.  I know of many people who requested him and him alone.  He had a special way with the people who were hurting, and didn't know where to turn.  His empathy for the Tamil people was so real, that many times we all shared their tears.

It is a huge honor to be sitting between them.  I don't think that Daniel was really their name, but I was sure proud that they had chosen that name to go by.

No comments:

Post a Comment