Monday, May 9, 2011

Freedom


This early morning, I have been reflecting on what I have seen and experienced.  While in Mullaitivu, I saw an incredible range of emotions.  There was a kind of resigned sadness at times, kind of the sadness of defeat.  But these times were rare.  I think that the sadness was understandable, the losses are incomprehensible.  But even more than the occasional feeling of sadness, there was a happy exuberance.  The smiles that we received were many, the thanks that we received were constant.  The hope that I saw in the eyes of my patients, and in the national staff that worked with our team, at times nearly broke my heart.  I felt that I couldn't fulfill the hope that they had for me.  I couldn't operate and remove the memories that haunted their nights, and shadowed their days.  But when they smiled, something else took over.  For a moment, it seemed like they were free, that they, just for a moment, would let the sadness go.

I wanted so badly to be able to bring that fleeting moment of freedom to these patients.  To fulfill their hope, and to remove their pain.  But all I had to offer was a smile and a kind touch.  It seems so little, but it means so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment